If, like us you love silver jewellery and would like to learn to make it like the professionals using traditional methods, then The Silver Jewellery Workshop is for you. Our expert tutor, Michelle Leaver will guide you through all the basics from setting up your home jewellery workshop to working with sheet metal, soldering, texturing, filling, polishing and finishing and much more. This is a beginners level class although it is recommended that you take the 'Make a Silver Ring' course before in order to get the best out of this course.
By the end you will have two pieces of handmade silver jewellery, a soldered, textured ring and a silver cut-out charm or pendant for a necklace. You don't need lots of fancy tools or equipment. Michelle will show you how to create your pieces with a few tools and materials which we can help you source so that is is easy for you to make and create at home.
What You Can Make
Michelle Leaver is a professional Jewellery who has successfully run her own business designing and making jewellery for over 25 years. She studied design at the London College of Fashion before specialising in Silversmithing and Enamelling at the London Guildhall University (now known as the London Metropolitan and formally known as Sir John Cass.)
She specalises in silversmithing, enamel and jewellery business support and is a regular and popular teacher at the London Jewellery School.
StartHow to Use This Course
StartLesson 1: Introduction, Tools & Materials (6:36)
StartLesson 2: Sawing and Drilling Silver (18:32)
StartLesson 3: Annealing, Texturing & Drilling (19:55)
StartLesson 4: Silver Ring, Sawing & Texturing (16:04)
StartLesson 5: Silver Ring, Annealing, Soldering and Shaping (22:04)
StartLesson 6: Polishing and Finishing (14:04)
StartCourse Notes: The Silver Jewellery Workshop
StartFeedback: How Was Your Course?
What tools and materials do I need for this course? And where can I get them from?
Great question! Here is a list of everything you need to complete this online course:
- Bench Peg (or jewellers workbench)
- Jewellers/ Piercing Saw
- Saw Blades (Grade 3.0)
- Brass Tweezers (or plastic)
- Hand Torch & Gas
- Heatproof fire brick (for firing on)
- Borax cone and dish (or other form of flux)
- Small paintbrush
- Selection of pliers – half-round, flat nosed, round-nosed
- Ring sizer
- Ring mandrel
- Metal scriber
- Large half-round file
- Half-round needle file
- Mallet leather hide (for shaping the ring, it doesn’t dent the metal)
- Hard silver solder
- Silver Sheet: Recommended 1mm thick 3cmx3cm for silver pendant and 1.2mm thick, 0.8-1.2mm wide and 7-9cm long (depending on your ring size) piece for your silver ring.
- Solder probe
- Tin snips
- Emery papers and or emery stick (recommended grades 400, 800 and 1200)
- Safety pickle
- Centre punch
- Hand Drill
- Beeswax (optional for lubrication to the saw blade)
- Safety Googles (advised)
- Additional files: large flat file, Needle files (half round, safety back – like a rooftop & round)
- Reverse action pliers
- Polishing cream and cloth
- Silver 6mm jump ring and silver chain to finish
Some recommended suppliers include:
Cooksons - http://www.cooksongold.com/
Walshes - https://www.hswalsh.com/
You can also see our full suppliers page here: jewellersacademy.com/jewellery-supplies
Before you enrol on this course did you know that if you join Jewellers Academy membership you get access to ALL of our online jewellery making AND specialist jewellery business courses? Member benefits include
- All current online courses including the 8-week Jewellery Business Bootcamp PLUS all the courses planned for the year including intermediate silver jewellery, stone setting shaped cabochons, stone setting in wax and collet setting
- Monthly online masterclass
- Monthly live Q&A where you get your questions answered
- Exclusive Facebook community of like-minded jewellers
- Exclusive discounts including for the London Jewellery School, Cookson Gold and more
You can get all of this, INCLUDING this course, for £365 for annual membership or you can choose the monthly payment option of £39 per month
(For our US friends £39 is $50 US approx. £365 is $476 US approx. The exact cost in any currency other than GB pound depends on the exchange rate at the time of purchase. You will see the cost in your currency before you process the payment)
Just want this course? No problem! Click below to enroll on the course now and get instant access.